Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How to take a mandi

Mandi is the term used for "taking an Indonesian-style bath" and it has been the subject of much discussion between myself and friends and family back home. While I was at first somewhat depressed at the thought of having to bathe this way for an entire year, I am now a true convert to the mandi style. As my neighbor put it: "it's refreshing"...and I couldn't have described it any better myself. So, without further ado, here's a step by step process of how to mandi:

1. Fill the bak (tub) with water. In all Indonesian homes, the bak is left full at all times (the water is used for not only bathing purposes, but also in lieu of toilet paper...however that is a separate topic which should best be described in person...)


2. Stand outside the bak and scoop out a bucket of water, then pour the water over the body taking care not to get any soap in the bak.


3. Repeat step 2 until clean


It's a bit labor intensive, but since the water is cold, keeping active takes your mind off of the fact that the water is freezing.
Here's a look at my bathroom, complete with western toilet (thank god!) and bak:

Bird's eye view of my bak (my house has 4 bathrooms if you can believe it, and this one is by far the cleanest and in the best condition. Notice how the tap is secured by using a plastic bag...many plumbing and maitenence problems here are solved with plastic bags. It's the Indonesian equivalent of Duct tape)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just like in India. Only whenever I went to my Grandmothers house, it was just a room, with a big bucket (of cold water) and and a jug. And maybe a plastic stool!!!

(It's Dip by the way, hi!)

nirmala said...

hi, katie!u are a creative people.........i hope your experience in bengkulu including gempa will remind u to indonesia......and all funny things.........

whatsithisreallyfools said...

Love the blue!

My first three years in India at the University of Delhi, I bathed out of a bucket and used a plastic jug (as anonymous said), but at least had a heating coil so even though the air was often just above freezing, the water was piping hot. My last year, down south in Tamil Nadu, I actually had an overhead shower. Cold water, but Madurai is never anything less than very warm, so it all worked out.