Thursday, July 20, 2006

Where I'm at...

In just a few days I will celebrate my one year anniversary in Japan...so I thought this might be a good time to point out where I have been for the last year! Japan is divided into prefectures, which are kind of like states. I live in Ishikawa prefecture on the Sea of Japan coast. The capital is Kanazawa City and my town, Nonoichi, is basically an extension of Kanazawa. Yes, my friends, I live in suburbia... For all you geographically challenged individuals out there, I have included a map so you can get a visual of my location in relation to the rest of Japan.
Even though my town is quite small, I unfortunately live about as far away from my schools as possible without living in another town. This wasn't a problem...until I got my bike stolen from the local train station about a month ago which, incidentally, was not my fault. I was lulled into a false sense of secturity by the low crime rate here and therefore didn't lock my bike at the station...and left it there overnight. Little did I know that just below the wholesome surface of Nonoichi lies the bubbling underbelly of a crime syndicate filled with bike thieves and shoplifters. But I digress. Here's a shot of the local bus in Nonoichi (called the "Noti") that I now take to school in the morning:
So cute! Kawaiiiiiiii!!! They come in 3 cute colors and have their own cute little cartoon mascot (like most everything in Japan...must...have...cartoon...mascot...!) My students think it's hilarious that I ride the Noti. I don't see what's so funny, but maybe it's some sort of inside joke that I'm not getting? Anyway, they all stare into the bus window as it passes and if they see me on it they wave and laugh hysterically. Just don't get it...

No comments: