Sunday, October 28, 2007

Bali in a Nutshell...

I just got back from a little vacation in Bali. It is really an incredibly beautiful place and unique in Indonesia because it's the only island in the archipelago where the majority of the population is Hindu (95% of Balinese) It was such a different world from where I am...it was interesting to see how stongly the majority religion influences the culture and lifestyle. I only spent 10 days there, but I could have easily spent a month traveling around...lots of places to see and things to do.

We got to see some of the countryside on a mountain biking tour. This is a terraced rice field we passed on our way...
Women taking offerings to the temple:
We also stopped at an organic farm in the mountains. Friendly gentleman roasting coffee:
Cocoa, light of my life, fire of my loins! Our guide lets us try some raw beans picked fresh from the tree:
Sunrise on top of a live volcano (Mt.Batur). We were cursing ourselves during the 4 a.m. hike to the top, but it was definitely worth it in the end......check out that sunrise!
Steam leaking up from the ground on the way back down the volcano:
Mother and child at a monkey sanctuary:
Monkey rules:
I ran into some friends who I worked with in Japan...here Blair shows the inspiration for his hairstyle:
Heather and Blair get serenaded by a drag queen in Seminyak (Blair obviously still in high spirits from his own private lap dance moments before...)
Engaging in less ambitious pursuits in Ubud:
Blessings from Tanah Lot, a Hindu temple:
Sunset at Tanah Lot

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, these pictures are gorgeous! You have serious talent behind (and in front of) the camera. My sister loves Bali and has been there several times. You've inspired me to want to go. You look pretty, too!

Jeronimo Nisa said...

Impressive. I'm jealous...

Anonymous said...

Wow, McClintic. This ain't no Japan. Not in any sense that it is worse. But rather different, with its own highlights, values, and positive notes. It sounds like a terrific experience all around and makes me want to rediscover the adventurer in me. Keep on exploring, as they say. How come no pictures of the beaches you told me so much about? Plus I had no idea you and Blair and Heather all got together over there...how was that? How are they getting on their journey???